India has been moving from a traditional approach to a more modern way of dealing with things – be it technology or globalization, India has been accepting every new innovation and has been coming up with several other ideas.
Aadhar Card is one such progress as it is a Unique Identification number provided by the UIDAI – Unique Identification Authority of India on behalf of the Government. Each member of the family is required to have one card for themselves, as it acts as a strong proof of identification.
Aadhar Card UID Number Can Be Locked/Unlocked By the Biometric Access
By numbers, 105 crore of Indians have been issued the Aadhar card so far. When one has a close at this card, you can notice that each card is unique, and differs by its unique combination of the 12 digit Unique Identification Number.
This number is generated by having a close connection with your personal biometric and demography details provided by you while applying for an Aadhar card. The demographic details include your personal details.
As Aadhar card became an important proof of identity, it meant that whenever you submit your Aadhar card, you are also submitting your biometric access. This can have adverse effects if misused, and thus the Government provides a facility of locking and unlocking this feature.
Steps to Lock Aadhar Card – Online
- Log on to the official website of Unique Identification Authority of India, Government of India and go to ‘Aadhar Services’.
- When you click on the tab, you will be directed to a page that will display information about lock/unlock biometrics for Aadhar Card.
- When you scroll down, you will be able to see boxes where you will be asked to input your Aadhar Number.
- The second box will ask you to enter the Security/ Captcha Code displayed beside the box.
- Once you fill these two boxes, the ‘Send OTP’ option will get activated. Click on it.
- On the right side of the same page, you will be able to view an option of ‘Enter OTP’ – and this is the box that will get enabled once you receive an OTP on your registered mobile number. Click on Verify.
- Once you submit the verification, an option of ‘Enable Biometric Locking’ will appear which will have to be tick marked by you, if you are willing to lock the Biometric access.
- After checking that box, click on the ‘Enable’ button.
- This ends the process and as a confirmation, you will be able to view a success message on the screen. It will read that ‘your biometric details are locked now’.
By locking the Aadhar card, you restrict other third party companies to be able to use your personal details and biometric access for their purposes. All these details will get locked from the Unique Identification Authority of India Server. The biggest advantage of this locking is that once it is locked, you can be rest assured that your personal details are safe, even in case of loss of Aadhar Card.
However, this locking can be changed by you at any point in time. So, at any stage of life, if you feel the need of unlocking the Aadhar Card, you can do it easily using the internet. Below are the guidelines that will assist you to unlock your Aadhar card, just by few clicks.
Steps to Unlock your Aadhar Card Online
- In order to unlock your Aadhar card, you will have to go to the official website of Unique Identification Authority of India, Government of India and go to ‘Aadhar Services’.
- You will be prompted to punch in your 12 digit unique Aadhar Card number.
- In the second box, you will have to copy the displayed security code (The security code is displayed on the right of the box).
- After filling in both the fields, the ‘Generate OTP’ button will get enabled and all you have to do is, click on it
- Once you hit the button, an OTP will be generated and sent to your registered mobile number. You can enter this OTP in the box, in the right side of the same page.
- After entering the OTP, click on ‘Verify’.
- Check the box beside ‘Disable Biometric Locking’ and hit the Disable button below that.
- You will be directed to a message on the screen that will display the success of your action.