Linking your Aadhar card with your mobile number is the must to keep your mobile number active! Wondering whether the news is true or fake? Don’t ever think like that – as per the new scheme initiated by the government, “Linking Aadhar card with your mobile number” is the must!
A Guide on “How to Link Aadhaar with Your Mobile Number”
Undoubtedly, Aadhaar card has become an important document to establish your valid identity and to enjoy all the government schemes and for financial matters such as filing tax returns and keeping your bank account active. Linking your Aadhar card with your mobile number will provide number of benefits. In this process, i.e. while linking your Aadhar card with your mobile number, an OTP (one time password) is sent to the mobile number linked to your Aadhaar.
You can also link your Aadhar card by updating your personal details linked to your Aadhar online by verifying using OTP send to your registered mobile number. While linking your mobile number with your Aadhar card, there will be two scenarios,
First – You are linking your mobile number for the first time
Second – In case, if you have changed your mobile number and want to update the Aadhar card details by changing the existing number with the existing number.
Now, let us discus these both cases in detail below.
Linking Your Mobile Number for the First-Time
This needs to be done only via offline. Usually, linking your mobile number with Aadhar card is not possible if you’re linking for the first time. To do this, you need to follow the below given steps.
- Visit your nearest Aadhar card enrollment center and get the Aadhar card update or correction form.
- Fill out the form correctly with all the required details, and submit the updated form with all the supporting documents along with copy of your Aadhar card. The supporting documents can be passport copy, PAN card, voters ID etc.
- Next, you need to provide the biometric information and it will be verified at the enrollment center. Your thumb impression will be authenticated by the officials.
- After verifying your biometric data and other information submitted from your end, you will be provided with the enrollment slip with an acknowledgement number.
- Usually the updation will takes up to 2-3 working days for the changes to be effective. In rare cases, it also takes up to 10 days.
Changing Your Existing Mobile Number
Updating your mobile number can be done online. For this, first and foremost, you need to visit UIDAI website. On the website, you will find an option under the Aadhaar Update tab; this will redirect you to the Aadhar Self-Service portal.
- Enter your Aadhar card number, Captcha code and request for OTP.
- The OTP will be send to your registered mobile number; you will be required to enter the details in the specific field.
- Now, you will be redirected to the new page, where you can update all your details.
- There you will find an option named “Select Fields”, choose the option “Mobile Number”.
- Now enter your new mobile number that you want to update and click on “Submit”.
Great! Now you have successfully linked your mobile number with your Aadhar card.
Thinking what will happen if you didn’t update your mobile number with your Aadhar card? The answer is here: If you didn’t update your mobile number within February 2018, all your services on your mobile will be disconnected.
And if you didn’t have your Aadhar card, just go and apply for it. Having an Aadhar card is mandatory for availing almost all services nowadays. When it comes to cost of linking your mobile number with your Aadhar card, its ZERO cost.
Most of telecom service providers like Airtel and Idea has already started to send alert messages to mobile users regarding “Linking Mobile number with your Aadhar Card Number”. Most operators like BSNL, Reliance, Vodafone etc. will follow the same feature to make their customer keep reminded about the new scheme of updating your mobile number.
In case, if you’ve forget to update your mobile number with your Aadhar card, there are few months to go! Visit your nearest enrollment center or visit UIDAI website online to update your mobile number and enjoy your mobile services for more years to come! 🙂